Friday, November 13, 2015

Healthy by Nature.


Eating healthy has always been part of my life. I grew up in the healthiest, crunchiest hippiest kosher home.  Just so you understand the level I speak of; a treat in our home was a carob rice cake.  Oh yes, you heard me correct, carob rice cakes. I mean, after all, the carob looks like chocolate....right?!!

So of course I did what all healthy children do, I rebelled. I was the junk food queen! I knew every closet, and drawer in friends' homes that hid the arsenal of chips, cookies, twizzlers and my favorite - sour belts.  My mouth even waters now as I type that last treat.  As I get older I have been able to curb the constant sugar craving and only find myself stealing into my kid's treat bag on rare
occasions.

Though this health conscious upbringing may have had the reverse effect on me, the benefit is that I know how to cook healthy! For the most part I have a healthy home but we are huge lovers of cheese and bread and of course wine (and more wine please.)

As the Fall roles in, Dov and I have decided we wanted to kick our healthy habits into high gear. We have been back at the gym , and it feels so good. And more importantly, I have been trying to keep dinners delicious while still maintaining real nutritional value.  After the usual go-to dinners of Fish, Grilled Chicken and lots of greens, I decided to add to my repertoire and perfect a great tofu dinner.

I'm pretty sure Dov never had Tofu until he moved to LA and met my mother.  Yes, I'll admit, tofu is pretty bland. But, with a little oven top roasting, a great marinade and a poached egg on top (or a flat poached egg, or a half omelet, half poached egg) you really can't go wrong!

[Picture disclaimer: I know you all feel me when I say I was too tired to make it truly instagram worthy.]

Tofu Stir Fry

Ingrediants:
1 carton of Firm Tofu cut into cubes and drain between two paper towels.
3 scallions chopped up
4 small bell peppers sliced
1 head of broccoli chopped
1 handful of shredded carrots
1 egg

Marinade: 
3 Tablespoon honey
3 Tablespoon soy sauce
2 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 Tablespoon minced garlic

*To make it a more filling meal use one Near East rice box.








                                                   



No comments:

Post a Comment